The Best Home Remodeling for Resale in Costa Mesa
The Best Home Remodeling for Resale in Costa Mesa right now is a short list, one that you should not avoid if you are looking for a good return when you go to sell your Costa Mesa real estate home. Of course, it helps to live in your home a few years to tackle this list. This list is from my 15+ years of experience seeing what buyers want in a home. I have posted these recommendations before, and I promise you they work.
The Best Home Remodeling for Resale in Costa Mesa List
I’m keeping it simple: Top 5 Remodeling Ideas as of 2017:
- Kitchen- It is by far the biggest hurdle that someone would object to when they see a home. Most people get the wrong idea that it will cost them $50,000+++ to renovate a kitchen, but that is simply not the case any longer. A very high end remodel in Costa Mesa right now should not cost more than $35,000. That would include custom cabinetry, custom electrical and plumbing. Can you do a really good kitchen for less??? Oh, yes you can. There are great choices for pre-fab cabinets which look amazing, are good quality, and are not expensive. The important details when doing this are adding nicer cabinet knobs and pulls and using nice fixtures. Quartz countertops are by far the leader in countertop material now, and white shaker style cabinets are in vogue. Light, wide plank oak or custom floor tile is in right now. See the photo to the right – want to sell? Follow that template in 2017-2018. Styles change, but that is what is “in” now.
- Bathrooms – Sorry, you have got to do at least one of them! And if it is only one, do the master bath. Again, more modern styled
shaker cabinets in white and quartz still rules the day in 2017-2018 trends. Wallpaper has made a nice rebound, but be sure you consult a designer or a realtor with a good eye prior to putting that up. Larger showers in the master are highly desirable, so if you can spare some space when you remodel, make that shower a bit bigger or more comfortable. Larger fixtures in chrome have been in vogue too. Lots of people will not mind having to remodel a bath (or a half bath), but having none of the bathrooms remodeled is a turn-off. Here are the Houzz top Bath trends for 2017: Top Baths.
- Flooring – Carpet a bit dated? Or worn? Replace it! Buyers object to flooring in a big way when they think it needs to go. Lately the wide-plank wire brushed oak has been the most trendy wood floor, and the decision to put that material in the living areas and hallways would not hurt a bit on resale. It’s expensive, but it will retain the investment when you go to sell your home in 2017-2018. One of the most important ideas is uniformity – try not to have more than a few different colors/patterns/themes going on with the flooring.
- Unify it! I gave you the expensive ones in the first three topics. I’m going to give you a couple of easier ones now. One of the easiest things to do for return on value is to unify your home’s paint scheme. Paint on the inside should be a lighter shade of grey or off-white right now for the best return. Having the same paint throughout the home connects all the rooms and parts of the home so it feels connected. The cost to do this is typically less than $6,000 and will help you get your price when you go to sell. Too many colors/themes in a home or condo can be off putting to buyers.
- The Boring Items! Well, as much as you don’t want to do these items, they do return your investment almost dollar for dollar: Windows, roof, siding, garage door, front door, recessed lighting. A worn out roof would probably be the biggest objection on this list. Windows are very important, and adding Air Conditioning is a big plus now since our summers seem to be getting hotter.
Did I help you with a good start on The Best Home Remodeling for Resale in Costa Mesa? Need more help with remodeling ideas? Don’t hesitate to ask! Colin Delaney, cell 714.743.9882 or email.
The Best Home Remodeling for Resale in Costa Mesa Copyright 2017